Wednesday, November 21, 2007

WFMW: Take a Better Group Picture

So this WFMW post has a little to do with last weeks, as its photography related. I've just seen so many bad pictures that didn't need to be bad, I feel like I need to do something. Plus, it's one of the few things that I'm actually good at (other than horses - limited audience) that maybe someone will appreciate learning how to do better. And who doesn't like taking pictures, other than who we're asking to stand for them?
How many of you have seen (or even taken yourself) the standard lineup of family members in a group picture. Everyone standing shoulder to shoulder, hands at their sides or cupped in front of them, square to the camera, with that familiar cheesy smile?

I admit, even I've done these. Take just a few minutes to actually pose your family, and you might just like the result! I won't go into complicated posing techniques, but I've found people kind of automatically arrange themselves by height/importance in the family, so that makes this job a lot easier. Here's what to do:
1) the eye likes triangular arrangements. Layer your people. Here's an example of what I mean:

And what you should try to avoid:

I'm having a hard time getting these where I want them, so use your best judgement in what I'm saying is good and not good.

2) let the relationships between the people show! In the home taken portrait above, we don' know who is who (except maybe for the dad holding the infant...we'd assume this is the baby's father...but who does the little girl belong to?) Let your emotion show, let the viewer know exactly how you feel about those folks!! See, isn't that nice?

Keep these tips in mind as you dress your kids in those sweaters from last year and line em' up in front of the fireplace... let your portraits show the real "you". You'll be much more pleased with the results...

By the way... these pictures are not my own work!! I am using them for demonstrative purposes only and take no claim to any of them. I'll remove any of them if anyone gets upset that I'm using them...

Be sure to check out my other WFMW posts:

Taking better pictures...
How to keep holiday gift giving under control...
The best hair tie ever...
Keeping your linens organized in one easy step...
Turning lunch bags into diaper bags (are those raisins you're having?)...
Visit Shannon at Rocks In My Dryer for other great tips and ideas!!!

2 comments:

tickledpink.nicole said...

These tips are timely and right on! I'm hoping to knock out the drama of getting a good shot of my family this weekend.

Amy said...

I don't think the above comment was lousy at all! :P