Tuesday, October 30, 2007

WFMW: The Best Hair Tie Ever

I have a little bit of really thin hair. Not so lucky for her, I passed this not-so-desirable trait on to my little girl. The problem is that I wear my hair in a pony tail 99.9% of the time (people actually remember me as "that girl with the ponytail"). Naturally, Jade also wears her hair in a pony tail 99.9% of the time too, except for when she pulls her rubber band out in the middle of a fit, or when she's sleeping, or in the car... basically any time I'd really like it to stay put.

Thin hair just won't hold.

As many of you also know by reading my blog, I'm really into horses. Well, in preparation for horse shows, we horsey people like to primp and braid our horses. No, we don't actually braid the horse, we braid it's mane and tail. Anyway. They make these great little rubber bands for holding horse hair. They're called "braid binders" and you actually have to work to get one of these puppies to break. That makes it really easy to get em nice and tight. Plus they stretch unlike any human hair rubber band out there.

I know you're thinking, why not just use office supply quality rubber bands? No, these are actually meant to go in hair, so they have that anti-stick, won't rip every last strand of hair out of your head quality. Not only that, they're pretty small, so you don't have to wind them 199 times to get them tight.

Believe me folks, they are truly a bit of engineering genius. Even better, they cost like $1 for a million of them. And they come in black (black), sorrel (brown), and grey (grey - for all of you out there with grey haired kids). You can get them at any tack store, Tractor Supply store, or similar location. If you don't live in a horsey type community, they are available from a plethora of retailers on line. And one bag will last you an entire year.

Works for me!!!

Check out my other great insights on WFMW posts:

Keeping your linens organized in one easy step...
Turning lunch bags into diaper bags (are those raisins you're having?)...

Visit Shannon at Rocks In My Dryer for other great tips and ideas!!!

1 comment:

The Daileys said...

I'm not a horsey person, but I have a neice who CANNOT keep rubber bands in her hair and doesn't hold still, so many rubber bands are sacrificed each time her hair is put up. I am going to refer my sister-in-law to your post! I'm sure it will be a sanity saver for her ;)