Wednesday, October 24, 2007

WFMW: Not so Diaper Bag

I got really tired of running around with this huge-normous type of diaper bag over my shoulder all of the time. Did I really need 20 diapers, a whole pack of wipes, half of our toy lineup, a half box of cheerios, two jars of babyfood, 3 spoons, and 2 new outfits just to run into Wal-Mart for 10 minutes. Answer: NO.

So when I was at Menards one day, they were giving away (after rebate = free) those smallish lunch bags. Ya know, the insulated ones that'll hold a sandwich, yogurt, and can of diet pop but not much more. I thought as I lugged around my 40 pound diaper bag, "What genius!"

So I picked up my new red lunch bag (much more stylish than pastel zoo animals), took it home, and proceeed to load it full of a few diapers, a half used squishy type of container of wipes, and a can of beer (for those really stressful trips - just kidding). It is marvelous. I now have room in my car for the actual kid. And the groceries, and whatever else I may want to put in.

I use it for all our in town errands, and actually leave it in the car most of the time. I've learned over the years, if the kid poops in the store and you're leaving in 5 minutes anyway, are you really going to take the time to change the kid there, or can it wait till you get to the car/home? Usually, I opt to wait, rather than expose my baby's butt to one of those fold down changing tables. They're so cheap (again, FREE), you can put one in every car so you never have to ask yourself when you get 2.3 miles from home, "Did I remember the diaper bag?" They are so unobtrusive, they almost go unnoticed in the car, that is, till you need it. And they come in a variety of designer colors.

It's my perfect solution to less clutter when toting baby/babies.

Worked for me!!!

2 comments:

SAHMmy Says said...

Great tip! Since the baby started on solids, I no longer live in fear of diaper explosions, so the ginormous bag can finally go. I love the insulated bag idea--you could also pack snacks and drinks--no more McDonald's when your errands take longer than expected!

Susan said...

Great idea. Will have to check it out.