Monday, November 5, 2007

I Hate Daylight Savings

It totally screws up my entire family's clock. They say, "Yeah, but you get an extra hour of sleep!!!" Oh no, not me. Maybe that night, but then I pay for it with kids waking up an hour early every day, and screaming an hour early every afternoon because they don't understand the concept of a 25 hour day. So actually, that "hour gained" turns into 10 hours lost, and 10 more in misery, until the "clocks" get reset. And by the way, whose idea was it to divide the state in half? Can't we at least agree on what damn time it is? Have you ever tried to explain to someone who doesn't deal with this the concept of going to the grocery store across town, getting there at 2pm, and getting home at 1:30? Yeah, it could happen. Or what about these counties who are actually on CST, but operate on EST? Fast time, slow time, Chicago time... WILL SOMEONE JUST TELL ME WHAT DAMN TIME IT IS? And here's another lovely daylight savings story.

I had to get up early (5:30) this past Friday to go into work early. The alarm clock is on Brian's side of the bed, so in order to not wake him up too much when it goes off, I set the alarm on my cell phone instead. It sits conveniently next to me on my nightstand, after all. So I set the thing for 5:30, and didn't sleep well anyway knowing I had to get up before it was natural (something I'm not used to - I know boo hoo). Well, I had just drifted off to a light slumber and the damn cell alarm is going off. I turn it off thinking, bleary eyed, "I feel like it's too early." This is not an uncommon thought, however. I thought "Just 5 more minutes." Then I looked at the real alarm clock. 4:30. Uhhh, hello?

Then, cursing, I looked at the cell phone clock. 5:30. Ok, I'm tired, but not insane. Now I'm concerned. What the hell time is it, anyway? So I call time and temp. Brian exclaims, "What the hell are you doing? If I did this at 4:30 you'd kill me!!" Yeah, I know, but I just need to know what damn time it is. "Well it's 4:30," he answers. Then I had to explain what happened. Or at least try. And now I'm bolt-ass awake. Yeah, it's really 4:30, but my phone is finding its signal from a tower where its 5:30. How much does that suck? And by the time I complete my call to time and temp, what time does the phone say? You guessed, 4:30. I hate my life. So now that I'm awake, it decides to find a tower in this time zone.

And after my shower, you know what time it is? 6:45. I can't take it anymore.

No comments: