Thursday, June 28, 2007

Big Horse, Little Boy

I took V to the barn the other day to let the horses out to get some exercise. I thought it was funny that when we first got the horses, V was pretty scared to ride by himself. Now, all he wants to do is to ride by himself. We've trotted (many miles) and even cantered. He got a real kick out of going faster. The horse, although, wasn't quite sure of what to think about an extra 40 pounds bouncing around behind the saddle, so the cantering was kept to a minimum.


But now, he's been in two horse shows, and is getting pretty confident. This day there was no way we were leaving without tears if he didn't get to ride. I didn't feel like hauling out all the tack just for a 5 minute ride, so I threw him on bareback with a lead rope and halter to hold on to. He had a good time riding, and wasn't scared at all to tell the horse who was boss. I thought it was so funny watching him try to kick the horse to get him to go... his little legs barely fit around the horse, and it takes an all out effort to actually give him a kick. I just think it's amazing that a 40 pound kid can mount an 1,100 pound animal. An animal of pure muscle, power, and grace, and make that animal comply.
It says something for the horse too. I think they know when a kid is around. Horses just seem to understand that they need to take care of their little riders, and are so willing to walk around at leisurely pace, to the enjoyment of his passenger. The same animal can then be turned out, free to be a horse, and exhibit his strength as he bucks, rears, rolls, and gallops. But not with his rider. Mounted, he is again a gentle giant, careful to not turn to sharply, or move too fast. I continue to believe that horses can teach children so much.
They can teach respect...just because you're bigger, doesn't mean you are always in control. They teach responsibility...the horses need to be cleaned, fed, and watered before the humans can relax. They teach love unconditional love...anyone who has looked at those big brown eyes or who has heard the soft knickers as you enter his sight knows what I mean. They teach so many things and require so little in return. I think they are just truly amazing creatures, and this is why my children will grow up with horses.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Those pictures are just too cool! I think you're right about horses. I think dogs are the same way (most of the time, anyway). They understand that little people need extra gentleness.