Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Vincent 0 Cavaties 1

Today was Vincent's first visit to the dentist. He handled it like a champion - much better than I would have ever expected. As some of you know, he was complaining about a toothache a few weeks ago. I looked in his mouth and thought I saw some discoloration on his first bottom molar. The next day he was still complaining, so I picked it with a toothpick and removed something from in between the first and second molars. I figured maybe this was what was causing the problem, but he still was complaining.

I made him a dentist appointment after vacation, and my fears were confirmed...Houston, we have a cavity.

His hygenist was great by letting him see all the tools and stuff before she started picking at him. He didn't even flinch during his cleaning. Of course, I'd probably enjoy it too if they cleaned my teeth with chocolate toothpaste. I am actually looking forward to going to the dentist. A whole hour of reclining, watching tv, no kids, no dogs, no nothing. Just sit still and don't talk. Sounds like vacation to me! Anyway...
Yes he has his first cavity. I can't imagine how he got it... it's not like his grandma and auntie and granny and pappap feed him candy or anything. I just can't see how this happened! No, it's not just them, we give him candy too. I just had to get that jab in. So he has to go back to the dentist in a couple of weeks to get it filled. How's that for wasting good money on a tooth that will most definitely be falling out on its own in the next couple of years! I am clearly in the wrong business! He had a good time there today, and collected hordes of pencils, stickers, toothbrushes, floss, and other dentist office trinkets before he left. I doubt he'll be as enthusiastic leaving next time. I hate to tell ya kid, it's not gonna be all stickers and chocolate toothpaste next time. Maybe this will convince him that it isn't just mommy and daddy wanting to be mean when we say, "No, I'LL brush your teeth!"




3 comments:

Amy said...

He's probably too old for this, but I totally got MG to let me brush her teeth tonight by telling her I was going to "tickle your teeth!!!" She was cracking up.

Poor kid. Hope they give him lots of happy gas.

Sean said...

The blog is great! I can't believe how big the kids are. I guess it has been about a year and a half since we have seen them. WE enjoy reading the new posts(since it seems like I can never remember to pick up a phone once in a while).

Sis said...

We got the girls those toothbrushes that play a popular song for two minutes, which theoretically should allow them enough time to do a thorough job. I suppose it would work if they actually spent those two minutes brushing instead of dancing around to either Hannah Montana (Mya) or Hillary Duff (Marley).

If I were into Hannah Montana or Hillary Duff, I'd get one of those things. I'll have to check on whether they sell grown-up versions. I could be into a Shakira toothbrush or a John Mellencamp toothbrush or something...