Friday, June 15, 2007

24 New Legs

We have added 4 bodies and 24 new legs to our animal lineup. Enter "cicada-head," "potato-head," "89," and "90." All very original names created after about 3 seconds of thought by a 4 1/2 year old boy. The conversation went like this:
4 year old: Mommy, you're home!
Mommy: Yes, Mommy's home.
4 year old: I have a surprise to show you.
Mommy: Oh yeah? What is it?
4 year old: CICADAS!!!
Mommy: Oh, good! (sarcastically). What are their names?
4 year old: (3 second pause) Cicada head, potato head, and 89.
Mommy: Cicada head, potato head and 89?
4 year old: Yeah they're my new pets.
(90 came later when he thought 3 cicadas would be much happier with one more)
So it's the year of the 17 year cicada. It seems to me like the big 17 year cicada story was running just a few years ago too. It's my understanding that each brood hatches every 17 years, and that each year can have its own brood. I guess this means that you can have 17 year cicadas every year. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

Anyway, these nasty, creeping, red-eyed bugs have infiltrated our peaceful abode. For the first few weeks we could only hear them, and we knew they were populating the nearby woods due to the enormous infiltration of seagulls swooping and pooping over our once quiet (and clean) neighborhood. For the past few days, though, these disgusting little 6-legged creatures have been dive bombing us, our kids, and our dog in our own yard. They really are clumsy little things. They will literally fly right into you and then sputter as they fall to the ground. You can hear them hitting the screens, sides of the house, whatever. I think they're really gross.

Does anyone know what to feed a cicada? They have been happily doing cicada things in their 1 quart mason jar prison all day, but have yet to have a decent meal, or a cool drink of water for that matter. I told the boy that we'd have to let them go free at the end of the day, to which I was confronted with tears, "but they're my new pets!" So I guess we're stuck with them till death do us part. Going by the news reports, they only have a few days to live anyway. Going by the seagulls, they have a better life expectancy in the mason jar.

On to more interesting news, and to answer what seems to be the top question in our family right now. Yes, we got the tie-die dress, and yes, sis has actually worn it. Behold.


It seems a little too big for her but I'm sure it'll be a better fit by the end of the summer. Thanks

sis - it's very groovy. Until next time...

2 comments:

Auntie said...

I love your blog! Whenever I'm online I can check up on the little monkeys. Love the creativity! Keep up the blog!

Sis said...

Excellent dress, Jade! Let your freak flag fly!