Saturday, August 18, 2007

One Hot Mother

I bet you all thought I was referring to myself.... well, not today anyway. Ever since we put up our pole barn, we haven't had a garden. Usually every year I use the millions of peppers and tomatoes that we produce and make a huge batch of salsa. No fear, salsa lovers. Our neighbors have enough peppers to supply Mexico in theirs. So anyway, I raided their garden (with permission of course) and harvested a bunch of tomatoes. Additionally, I stole batches of tobasco, Thai, jalapeno, and habenero peppers.
Usually I grow mild banana peppers to use, so I had to go to the store for mild "fillers" to add to the hot stuff. While making my first batch, I was chopping said peppers, and chopped one of the habaneros. I guess I never had a habenero, because as I was chopping, I was feeling the sensation that I had been sprayed with pepper spray. The fumes were making my eyes burn, my nose run, and my sneezer sneeze. I was a total mess, and this was after just recovering from chopping onions. I was planning on using a couple of the habaneros, but after that episode, I only used a small percent of one of them. Those are the leftovers in the picture, and they are as hot as they look.
I am actually afraid of them. If just the fumes were about to kill me, I can only imagine what a chunk of one IN MY MOUTH would feel like. So I made my salsa, Vincent helped. He actually got a whiff of habanero too. He decided that the perfect "cure" for the hots was to eat a mouthfull of sugar (where does he come up with these things), so that's what he did. I made a total of 5 jars, 3 medium, and 2 hot. The ones I'm calling hot have the remanants of the habanero in them. I'd hate to advertise medium and then have someone bite into a chunk of that stuff. I'll distribute later, and let you know what my most honest critic (Brian) had to say about it...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ooo, that fresh salsa must taste delicious! I'm jealous.