Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Kitchen Sink Blog

My blog today will be the kitchen sink of the day... the past few days of my life have been filled with completely different, unrelated events that it would take three blogs (at least) to explain them. I'll put three days into one and hope it makes sense.

Lets start with the positive. Yesterday I went to my old college town to visit my old high school friend Amy. I got there kind of later in the afternoon, actually around dinner time. We hung out for a few hours and took the kids to McDonalds to play in (as she calls them) the "germ tubes." Yeah, I stole that picture fair and square straight from her blog. So the kids ate there and played for a while. Then we went to the local frozen custard place (real frozen custard) and got stuff for the kids and ourselves. I got this delicious turtlely, carmely, hot fudgy, nutty, whip creamy, mmm mmm good thing. I'm sure it had more calories than my entire #2 value meal, but it sure tasted good going down! We then went back to Amy's and had a few glasses of Rosso. We had a good time talking and catching up. We fondly shared memories of some of the crazy things I made Amy do in high school that nearly caused both of our moms a heart attack - probably mostly her mom though, my mom was more used the things I was capable of. I still think Denna thinks I'm responsible for corrupting her innocent, pure daughter... yeah, right. We didn't get home till around 11:00, and the kids were righteous by then. Jade, in fact, screamed from the minute we pulled off of her street clear to mile marker 230 - roughly 50 miles of screaming. Yikes. Oh well. It was actually a nice precursor to today.

Today I went to Trooper Detective Rich's funeral. It really sucked. Cop funerals are really very structured, and it's amazing to see police from literally the west to east coast and every where in between turn out. I did fine throughout the whole thing till the end. We proceed past the casket to lay our carnations on it. The family sits right there by where we pass. His wife was there, weeping, and holding their 3 kids. Like I said, I did fine till I saw those poor babies... sigh. One of the little boys, just about Vincent's age was looking down into the hole where his father was about to be introduced. I couldn't handle it.
The story is that the "bad guy" had threatened to "go to a school and kill a bunch of kids" so maybe Detective Rich was more of a hero for intercepting this lunatic before he had time to carry out his real plan. We'll never know. What we will know is that Detective Rich was killed because he wore a uniform, and that his children will have to grow up without their Daddy. Hopefully, he saved lives that day with his sacrifice.
The end of the day was spent wrangling the kids and finishing our fountain. Now it's time to have a drink. It's been a long, long day.

No comments: