Monday, July 9, 2007

Big Big Bombs Bursting in Air


Well, the busy fireworks season is winding down around the McDonald household, and I am just about fireworked out. I've realized that fireworks really aren't my thing. I like them, but you know, I just can't see the normal person jusifiably spending that kind of money to send a single shell up in the air, watch the effect, and have it gone forever. Well, mostly forever, except in my case, as I photograph and videotape every single show that my darling husband does. And then we watch it over, and over, and over, and over.
It's kind of like vacations. The memories are nice, but can I justify spending multiple hundreds, possibly thousands, of dollars for a memory? Anyway. There is one positive about the whole experience... that is the fact that I get to use my camera.
Those of you who know me know that I am really into scrapbooking (yes, it's hard to believe!). Therefore, I am also moderately into photography. I have played the cards very well, you see. I take still pictures of Brian's fireworks (something he really enjoys) and I get to buy all kinds of stuff for my camera, including the camera, so he can preserve his "memories." I am currently in the market for a couple of new lenses.

It actually works out pretty well. I say something like, "you know, I'd get a lot better picture with a such and such lens," or "you know, I'd get a lot better picture with a such and such tripod," or as it has already panned out, "you know, I'd get a lot better picture with a Canon 20D camera!"

I'd really like to do some free-lance stuff on the side if I had the time. Maybe when the kids get a little bigger, and aren't so in need of constant supervision. I'll post a few of the pics I took from a recent wedding - give me your opinions. I think they look a lot like the ones people pay thousands of dollars for for a professional photographer. My marketing plan will be, my pictures are pretty damn good, and because I'm not some major high dollar studio, I'll shoot your small wedding/reception for a fraction, and I'm talking a fraction, of the cost. Hmmm. That would be nice to have a little supplemental income in the pocket for a few hours of work on the side.

Moving on. The kids really enjoyed the shows. Jade was hilarious. Just like her big brother, she had absolutely no fear of the explosions. Even the really big ones. She just sat and ooed and aawed and squealed in delight. That's my girl. The more destruction the better. Vincent was the same. He told Brian this year that he liked the spinney ones the best. Brian can't wait to teach him the trade (believe me, there's WAY more to safely firing these things than most people realize). I'd rather he stay with tractors and horses... but who am I to decide?



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those fireworks pictures were awesome!! I'd love to take pics as great as those, but my problem is my shutter isn't as fast as yours. Well, you get what you pay for. hahaha