Friday, May 16, 2008

I'm A Moron

Well I went to Colorado with everything but the kitchen sink. Of course I took my camera as well as my million pound zoom lens. The only problem is the software I need to convert my pictures to a viewable format is on the desktop, not the laptop that we had with us.
Nonetheless. It was a great trip. We had a rough start when our plane didn't take off till it was supposed to be landing in Denver. Some little valve in the engine went out which caused the little air thingies to blow out hot air. The cabin was at least 90 degrees. So we sat there in the 90 degree cabin for 2.5 hours while they fixed the valve thingie. We could have taken off with the nonworking valve and still have been on the plane in the heat for the same period of time.
The first few days were disappointing as far as looking at property went. Some were just SO remote it would almost not be safe for us to be there. Really. Others were just too much in the valley, and looked just like what we have here only windier. Some were just really close to WT, which I never realized was so rampant in Colorado. Or at least I never paid attention. I just don't understand why you'd own acreage in the most beautiful place in America (IMOH) on some of the most beautiful land there, and fill it up with trailers, campers, broken down cars, and old school buses. Seriously, people.
I think the most interesting thing we saw, other than the mountains, was this...
As best I could tell, it's a non-poisonous gopher snake. It was about 5 feet long, and we drove right over it on the road. We thought it was dead so we turned around to find it slithering off the roadway. Yikes.
Anyway. Just about when we were ready to give up and on our second attempt (due to the 12 inches of SNOW the area got the day we were scheduled to look), we found this.....
It's 40 acres near Colorado Springs (take Hwy24 west for about 30 miles, go thru Wilkerson Pass, and you're there). These views are literally 360 degrees in any direction you look. It's right by 2 large resevoirs with fishing, camping, and boating (within walking distance to one...) and is only about 1.5 miles from National Forest land. Therefore, all those trees and natural stuff you see is pretty much guaranteed to stay that way, unless they start selling off the National Forests to support the war... but that's another post.
We put an offer on the land and are waiting to hear back. We're both really excited. I'll keep you updated. I want to relax...

No comments: