Friday, April 11, 2008

Discogram, Schmiscogram

I survived the dreaded discogram. My biggest disappointment was that there wasn't ANY disco music, NOT ONE disco ball, and not even A SINGLE pair of platform shoes. In fact, think my doctor probably wasn't even born yet in the 70's. All joking aside, I'd like to have a stern word with anyone who claims it was the "most excruciating" thing they have ever endured. Granted, all doctors are different, and I suppose the procedure can be done many ways, but I'd hardly qualify it as excruciating. In fact I'd be stretching it to call it much more than "a little worse than what's going on on a daily basis."
They took me into the OR, and gave me some nice, nice Versed on the way down. That got me in the mood for a martini. Then they put me on the table and juiced me up with whatever magic potion they use and I was totally out cold. This was for the "careful placement" (not jamming, as I described it) of the very long needles into my spine. Luckilly, I have zero recollection of this. Then they woke me up, pretty much all the way, but by that time all the numbing stuff around the needles was well in effect, so I was oblivious to the fact that I resembled a porcupine. Then they injected the stuff into the discs themselves. This was the only mildly un-fun part of the whole thing. They effectively "reproduced" the pain I was having, probably about 2 points higher on a 1-10 scale than what I deal with usually, but nothing that made me want to die or anything. Then that was it. I got to the recovery room, got some more good stuff in the IV, had a sip of Sprite, and went home.
I've slept just about all day today, and I'm pretty sore, but that's about it. The meds help, and Brian took Jade to Granny and PapPaps all day. He and Vincent ran around, so I had the house totally to myself. I'm just more concerned that my body could physically literally sleep for like, 20 hours straight. I guess I must have needed it...

3 comments:

Amy said...

You know the best part of all this is going to be going back to work to tell the guy who said it was the Worst Pain EVAH!!!!! that he's a big pansy. Tell him to try childbirth and get back to you on pain, and enjoy the knowledge that men are wussies and we are truly the superior gender.

So, do you need a spinal fusion or a discectomy?

Glad you're doing so well. Looking forward to bringing you casseroles, etc.

Love,
Amy

The Schnicks said...

"men are wussies and we are truly the superior gender."


WOW! What a comment. I am sensing some hostility.

Amy said...

I'm still mad at him for getting Jenny all worried about the discothing in the first place.

Amy