Wednesday, March 25, 2009

No, I Didn't Get Lost

I haven’t gone on vacation or anything cool like that. I’ve just been totally ignoring this blog. Sorry. I know that’s a GREAT way to keep people clicking in regularly, too. Post randomly, maybe once a month or so. Pretty soon people will just say, to hell with her, and delete me from their favorites. So anyway. Here’s what we’ve been up to!

My corned beef dinner went off without a hitch. A few of my yearly “regulars” couldn’t make it this year, so we had a few new people over. The menu was the same – 12 pounds of corned beef brisket (yum!), cabbage, onions, carrots, and red potatoes slow cooked for ever in Guinness, cheddar bread (that I finally got right this year – put a glaze of butter, garlic powder, and sugar over the top), and the standard “grasshopper parfait” that I make every year. It was good and I had report that the next days gaseous emissions were indicative of – well – enough cabbage (sorry, TMI). Gee, I wonder who that came from…

We rocked out to Guitar Hero for a while, had a few beers, and enjoyed each other’s company. Speaking of Guitar Hero… I finally got the new Wii hooked up to the internet (stupid easy – I don’t know what I was waiting for) and realized that you can battle other players or play along with them “band style” via your online connection. This is a devastating discovery. Truly. It is So. Much. Fun. And remember, this is coming from someone who on a 1-10 scale of Video Game Tolerance is at a like 2 or 3. Really. Typically, I really don’t understand people who play these things addictively. Well, maybe now I do. At least if it’s Guitar Hero. Going back to the online connection… I played someone who was playing the same song I was on expert (I was on medium) and he/she totally kicked my butt at it. By like 10,000 points. I felt very puny after that – clearly I need more practice.

I’ve been running still in preparation for the Valpo Triathlon in July. What I really need to do at this point is get my bike tuned up and get on that, too. I enjoy biking so much more than I do running. I should probably find a swimmable body of water, too. Needless to say, I have a lot of training to do before July. I’ve made a commitment to riding the horses more this spring than I did (or didn’t) this winter. Show season is approaching rapidly (my first is May2nd) and I’m too fat to fit into my show clothes, and the horse is too out of sorts to even think about being competitive. So it’s crunch time.

The kids are on spring break. It was actually pretty warm here yesterday but super windy (that always ruins things). Today it’s sunny and calm but not as warm. I think the kids are spending the night at the in-laws Thursday night. It’ll be so weird to get up in the morning and get off to work without kids to feed/dress/or run somewhere… and Brian will be at work already, too, so I’ll have the whole house to myself when I get up. Weird.

We have two trips planned in June. We’re going to Brown County with the horses and the kids are going to Arizona. A few weeks later we are planning on heading out to Colorado for about a week together. It’ll be the kids’ first trip out there, so I’m excited to share something I love so much with them. We have plans to visit some old friends while we’re there, too, so it’s a bonus. It’ll be the beginning of the spring season there so it should be really pretty with all the wildflowers blooming and endless mountain sunshine and blue skies. Hmmm. Remind me again why I live here…

Well, that’s my update. Be sure to check out my photo blog if you have any interest in some other stuff I’ve been up to…

1 comment:

The Saunders Family said...

yep, the wind ruined the weather for us yesterday, as it was blowing sand from the tiny box Maria has even when she wasn't doing anything with it...needless to say we went back in pretty quickly! Today isn't much better, but we ran errands all morning and now she's snoozing!