Saturday, March 14, 2009

My First 5K This Year

Today was my first 5K race for the year. It's a race I ran back in '02, just after Vincent was born. It was a really cool race, called Runnin With the Irish. It had a cool St. Patty's day theme, and was definitely more healthy way to celebrate St. Pats than green beer. I ran my best 5K time yet, too; 31:twenty-something (the results aren't up yet). That's not blazing fast, actually, it's really not even kind of fast, but it's an accomplishment for me.

I ran with two great friends; Sarah and Allisa. It was the first 5K for the both of them, so that was cool too. So this is all in preparation for the sprint triathlon I am planning on running in July. It's the Valparaiso Triathlon, and I ran it in it's maiden year in 2005.

I actually feel pretty good today. It was a sunny day and the scenery was great. The couse went through the Dunes State Park, and up to the beach and around the big pavilion there. It was a little chilly at first, but once we got going, we were fine. I imagine all the cookies and brownies at the end cancelled out all the calories I burned during the run, but oh well. We had a good time and it was good to go back to the run that was the first 5K I ever completed. Hooray!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Good for you!! You're awesome!

The Saunders Family said...

awesome...hope you feel like you accomplished something great!