Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Auto Assistance Ownership Amendment, As It Applies To Your's Truly...


Can someone with more patience please answer me this question? In the typical fashion that I tend to get HOSED out of all things good, in Obama’s new stimulus package it was my understanding that under the Auto Assistance Ownership Amendment that taxpayers would be allowed to deduct sales tax paid on a new vehicle purchase between November 12, 2008 and December 31, 2009. I think one can actually read the bill itself at readthestimulus.org - yeah, not even the lawmakers VOTING on this read it. I can assure you that I will not either.

There are conflicting reports, however on the dates of eligibility for this deduction. Some reports say it begins on February 14th (or thereabouts, not sure on the specific date) and some say it’s retroactive to the date above. Naturally, this matters to me because of course, we bought our new truck smack dab in the middle of the “grey area” in the dates. January 23, 2009, to be exact. I am not linking to any information I have found on this, because, again, they all contradict each other.

Rest assured, we did NOT buy a vehicle costing more than $49,500 and we do NOT make over $250,000 per year… so no problems there. It’s just a matter of the dates.

A big hug to anyone who can definitively answer this question – if I do qualify, maybe I’ll cut you a check for $5 when I get my tax refund from 2009!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'd call the dealership and see if they know anything, since they're probably using the stimulus plan to try to sell more cars, they probably know what's up.

...Or an accountant...

Unknown said...

Motor Club Of America has the best Unlimited Emergency RoadSide Assistance in the country. Only $19.95 per month.