Friday, September 26, 2008

It Takes All Kinds


Are you f’ing kidding me? These people really want to use HUMAN BREAST MILK to produce Ben and Jerry’s ice cream? I believe the main argument of PETA is that milking of dairy cows is cruel. Oh, ok, so lets milk humans instead. Wouldn’t want to piss off a cow!

Now, really, if you’re worried about unhappy cows, you need a better hobby. I’m certainly no dairy farmer, but isn’t it true that lactating cows (like humans) need “drained” on occasion? You think cows get cranky from milking? Great. Group about 1,000 lactating women in a huge Ben and Jerry’s milking center and ask them to pump enough breast milk to produce all their ice cream. Talk about cranky! I’d rather deal with the cows. All the Ben and Jerry’s double fudge brownie in the world wouldn’t be enough to keep that group happy! You want cranky, I'll show you cranky!!!

I have recently been looking into the dangers/potential dangers of humans drinking cow’s milk laden with antibiotics, growth hormones, and who knows what else, so this whole concept really grabbed my attention. In fact, I was just thinking about blogging about the $6.24 gallon of 2% organic milk I just bought at Wal-Mart yesterday. I teach grade school kids on occasion, and it’s no secret that there are plenty of 5th graders who are taller and thicker than me, have breasts, moustaches, and the whole nine yards. This HAS to be attributable to something, so I’m going to use non-organic cow’s milk as the cause until I see something else that would make more sense.

I’m still not ready to take that leap into using human milk to commercially produce dairy products that are on the shelves of my local grocer. I just heard something, in fact, on the radio this week about some chef somewhere who is using human milk in his recipes. Apparently, he’s trying to incorporate some of these into menu foods at some restaurant.

No thanks, but I’ll stick to what moos. If I have to pay $6 a gallon for it, so be it. There’s enough outrage about nursing mothers as it is – I can’t imagine how these people would react to this “advancement” in dairy… even La Leche League doesn’t think it’s a good idea. To get those people to agree that breast milk and/or its subsequent use could possibly, maybe, just a little not be beneficial is a statement in itself. I’m gonna go have a bowl of cereal.

2 comments:

The Saunders Family said...

those poor cows would have to go on unemployment, and yep, I don't want to be anywhere near a bunch of nursing moms forced to pump to make ice cream! Uh, yeah, the pump is not really your friend!
oh, and some of the markets have a note on the regular milk that no hormones are given to the cows they use...and I thought it was at Wal-mart, maybe it was Meijer.

The Schnicks said...

Don't forget that the meat you eat from the cow and from the chicken and from the pig have those hormones to. Guess you need to by organic meats to. I wish I had the McDonald money to be able to afford $6 a gallon milk. I am sure Obama will get that price lower. After all he is here for "Change". By the way he sounds like an idiot on the debate. Very apparent he does not have much experience. My 2 cents.

Your bestest friend!!!!!!