Friday, July 11, 2008

EBay Scare

Well, I thought I bought the farm. I ordered some software on eBay for photo editing. It's a really expensive piece of software, and I feel I got a pretty good deal on it. It was a buy it now, and in my usual fashion, I bid and in the next click paid. The transaction completed thru paypal. Done.

A few days later, well, more like 5 days later, I get this email from paypal and from eBay that my listing had been removed for reasons they couldn't disclose "for privacy purposes" and that I wasn't under obligation to pay for the item and complete the transaction. Uh, great, but it's already paid for. So essentially, it's mine, right? So tell me why the hell it was removed.

So slightly freaking out, I frantically checked for more information. I had visions of a 3 month long battle with paypal trying to recover some of my money. Bad. Bad. Bad. Then I saw that it had allegedly already been shipped via USPS. And believe it or not, it showed up yesterday.

The software was there, right in it's box with the activation code and everything. Being the skeptic that I am, I didn't believe it till I saw it - so I loaded it, put the product code in and BAM. It worked. I dunno what the problem was. But I definitely will think better about buying anything that costs more than $5 on eBay - with the economy the way it is, I can only imagine the number of scams out there...

No comments: