Monday, September 28, 2009

Where The Hell Are My Salt and Pepper Shakers?

If you don’t hear from me or my family after Wednesday night you’ll know why. I am gonna be the next Powerball winner. The people here at the office and I entered an office pool and figured at the current cash payout, that we’ll each be looking at about $12.5 mil come Wednesday.

This got me thinking about gambling, and the disappointment that comes with losing. I think I finally figured it out. My thoughts were that if I didn’t win the Powerball (but we all know that won’t happen) I probably wouldn’t be all that disappointed or surprised. You see, I don’t think any one actually expects to win the Powerball. Sure, we’d all like to. And it’s pretty fun to sit around and daydream about what the hell you would do with that much money, but when it comes down to the drawing and you don’t win, are you really that shocked? Probably not.

On the other hand, if you enter, say, a 50/50 raffle. Or if you enter a Superbowl pool or something of the like… the possibility of winning is actually pretty good. So when you have good odds and don’t win? Yeah, that sucks. It’s even worse when half the people that entered win something even if it’s not the “grand prize”. You start to get a bit smitten over the fact that you didn’t get your Chicago Bears salt and pepper shakers…

Of course, none of this applies, because it’s already in the master plan. I’ll be on a plane to Colorado first thing Thursday morning… oh, I meant on my private jet. Happy playing!

1 comment:

The Schnicks said...

Well...I am crossing my fingers and toes that you hit the Power Ball...because that will mean that we will too! However, I subscribe to the belief that we'll be going to work on Thursday. Oh well. It's nice to dream.