Monday, November 3, 2008

A Prayer Now Would Be Nice

My grandpa, who is almost 89 years old, was admitted to the ICU today. He has literally, never been sick a day in his life. We went to see him tonight and he looked sick. They say he's just kind of shutting down - I guess he's just finally gotten tired. This is a person who at his age is/was still laying carpet, remodeling bathrooms, and fixing leaking roofs. This is the same person who had to retire from the mill because he was getting death threats for working too hard from other union members. This is a person who has never bought anything with credit in his whole life. Just a week or so ago we were cleaning out one of his storage barns. He actually thought that we were all at the hospital to see my grandma, and was insisting that he get heading home about the time I finally left the hospital tonight. I'm sure he thinks there's some bolt that needs tightening, or maybe he had a poker game scheduled with "chili Bob". One of the smartest people I have ever met, a true Mensa genius, lying there with no idea what the hell was going on. One doctor said it'd be a miracle if he makes it 24 hours. Another seemed to think he'd be going home in a few days... either way, we could use a prayer, or whatever you do, sent this way...

4 comments:

The Schnicks said...

Jen,

I hope that your grandpa is feeling better today. I will say prayers for him and for your grandma. Love you guys!

Allisa

The Saunders Family said...

definately praying right now! We are dealing with this as Larry's 101 year old grandma and my 92 year old grandpa are not doing so hot, but they have been hanging on for weeks for her and months for him...so you just never know...blessings
jess

Amy said...

My heart is with you and your family, and you know that I can be there in 2 hours if there is anything, ANYTHING you need.

Love,
Amy

Jen said...

You guys rock. He's not doing any better or any worse... we're in a holding pattern. It just sucks to see such a BRILLIANT man so so so confused and frail...