Thursday, May 14, 2009

Me: 1, Washing Machine: 0

Did I mention in a previous post that my washing machine took a crap on me? I thought of a great solution; I'd ask my Grandma if I could buy, at a discount, her barely used front load Maytag set. Since she's soon going to be moving into my aunt's house (which is equipped with a fully functional washer and dryer), I thought maybe I'd luck out. She agreed (and there was much rejoycing...) until my mom told me that she thought the washer had issues. She and my aunt both told me that after the machine is done with its cycle, you can still see several inches of dirty water under the wash tub... and that Maytag said this was "normal" for that model. That model happened to be a Maytag Neptune.

So I googled "maytag neptune" and was unhappy to see that there was actually a recent class action lawsuit settled on this EXACT model for mildew and/or black mold problems. Maytag's solution? Run empty loads of bleach water on a weekly basis. I read a ton of testimonials from people who thought it was just ludicrous that you had to spend so much time washing your washer, just so that your clothes weren't infiltrated with mold spores and mildew. So I then started looking at Neptune alternatives. Like fixing the one we've got, instead. I researched the problem we were having, found some diagrams, took the washer apart last night, sent Brian on a part hunt today, and fixed it tonight.

And it actually works! For a few hours on the internet, an overwhelming desire to have clothes that don't smell like mildew, and $7, our old washer is new again. I just had to replace the "cam dogs." Like, duh?!?

So they say good things come in 3's (or is it pairs...for my sake let's say 3's). I found out as well that I overpaid my Nipsco bill by $125, and my bill this month was a whopping $40, so Nipsco still owes me $80. Guess that means no Nipsco bills this summer! Yay.

I know Good Thing #3 is that there's a check for a million dollars on it's way to me in the mail right now...

1 comment:

The Saunders Family said...

way to go Jen...fixing the washer yourself sounds like something I would do!
Hope you get your million dollar check real soon!