Sunday, April 5, 2009

Fabulous

I spent the weekend with a very very good, very very old friend of mine. I reacquainted with her this year on Facebook, and this is the second time we've been able to get together since then. The first time, the kids and I traveled to Dayton to visit her and her family. This time, she's come to NWI to visit us (oh yeah, and her family, too :)). It was totally weird traveling 4 hours to meet up and stay with someone you haven't talked to, nevermind SEEN for roughly 18 years. No joke. She and I were BEST friends growing up. We were virtually inseparable and most of my most vivid childhood memories include her and/or her family. In fact, I think her parents were so much my "second set" they were the only people who had full permission to treat me as one of their own, in good times and bad.

Seriously. I hadn't even spoken to her for so long, I was totally unsure of what to expect when I arrived in Dayton, bag in hand, like "Here we are!" And it couldn't have gone any better. Even after 18 whole years, it was like we hadn't missed a day, we jumped into conversation, and were up till 2am reminiscing. It made me realize why we were such good friends in the first place... there were so many parallels in our lives it was almost scary, and we were still so similar in thought in our adult lives that it is hard to believe we ever lost touch for so long. Even our kids match. Don't they say that a mother knows her child's cry? Well, not in this case...in fact, the word "MOOOOMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIEEEE" is indiscernible whether it's coming from hers or mine... no joke. Neither of us can tell the difference.

Her husband is in the Army, and it's quite likely that she'll be moving further south in the next few years. This totally bums me out, as I feel I have rekindled a true, lifelong friendship that I don't even mind the thought of driving 4 hours one way just to hang out. Anyway, she is here for this week, and I'm so excited to get to spend more time with her. As most know, I don't have many true "girlfriends" with a few exceptions (Amy, Allisa...) and I am so stoked to have found her.

I'm hoping that at some point this week we can stop talking and actually get a pic of the two of us and of our families together. I know I've posted about this before, I'm just so excited that she's here! Here's to a fun week!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I am so happy that you had fun! But, and it's hard for me to admit this, I am TOTALLY JEALOUS! Hahaha...

How silly and shallow am I? My goodness, how embarrassing. I can't believe I'm even posting this...

The Saunders Family said...

awesome! Hope you have fun catching up and yes, we must see a picture or two!

The Schnicks said...

I can't even get you to drive 2 miles down the road to visit me. :-(

The Schnicks said...

Okay...so Brian must have "girlfriend" envy! He must be jealous too. :) I just thought his comment was funny because you clearly mentioned that you were stoked to have another "girlfriend." I'm so glad to be among the group! :)

Allisa